This week has flown by, but it’s ending on such a wonderful note. This week I went into the city to meet with our publisher about In the Company of Women (our new book!), and we made BIG plans for this fall. We’re planning no ordinary book tour, and I cannot wait to tell you our idea. It’s all about connecting communities not just across the country, but the world. It’s going to be so fun and so meaningful. I can’t wait. Until then, I wanted to wrap up this week with a new hashtag challenge inspired by all of the gorgeous stores (and their talented display teams): #DSStorefronts
Whether you snap a picture of a beautifully patterned exterior, a hand painted sign, or just a genius use of the front window space, upload it to Instagram with the hashtag #DSStorefronts (please note: this is for store exteriors, not interiors). We’ll choose our favorites and share them here and on Instagram, too. This challenge is all about celebrating your favorite local shops and great design. Please be sure to name and tag the shop so they can share some love, too.
- “The Everyday Allure of India’s Coffee Houses“: This story on colorful coffee houses is beautiful. (Saveur)
- This piece — How advocates of African-American Art are advancing Racial Equality in the Art World — is a total must-read. (Artsy)
- Rare color photos from Paris in 1914: A lovely glimpse into the city’s past. (Matador)
- This intimate look at tree bark is surprisingly gorgeous and design-forward. (Brain Pickings)
- Victoria painted her entire house matte black and it’s fantastic. Seriously. (SFGirlbybay)
- Last but not least, I love you so much giant marble countertop. (Remodelista)
- Must-Reads: 40 Valentine’s Day Cards, 18 Embroidery Artists to Follow on Instagram, Teenage Bedroom: Susie Ghahremani, Where to Buy Secondhand Furniture Online
- Fine Art Focus: Maya Freelon Asante, Tomás Rivas, Jennifer Packer
- Interiors: A beautiful Baltimore row house, A gorgeous Georgian home in Bristol, Hitting Refresh on a 1920s Bungalow, A Chicago Family’s Highrise
- DIY: How to Recolor Your Own Grout
- Comfort Zone: Patricia Thomasson, Kayla E.
- City Guide: Charlotte, NC
- What’s In Your Toolbox: Atiya Jones, Lorna Scobie
- Life & Business: Growing a Great Team by ERIN BENZAKEIN