Almost 35 years ago, I was born in Richmond, Virginia. My parents both worked for the newspaper and loved living in a town with so much history and a vibrant art and educational community. But after two years they decided to pack up and move to Virginia Beach. As much as I loved the beach, something about Richmond always pulled me back. I spent summers there playing field hockey and I always loved the creative scene that flourished in no small part because of VCU, a local university with a great art program. Now when I go back home to see my family, I always want to hop in the car and drive northwest to see the incredible new generation of shops, galleries, restaurants and music spots that have popped up in recent years. But thanks to the team at Visit Richmond, one of YOU will get the chance to visit for this year’s Richmond Street Art Festival!
The Richmond Street Art Festival is taking place the weekend of April 22, 2016. The festival will bring together local and national muralists to paint industrial sites in the city. Artists this year will be painting the Southern States Silo. In addition to a weekend of art, music, food trucks, beer and parades, the festival benefits a community print shop, Studio Two Three, and a nonprofit group that runs programs for at-risk youth, Art 180. Visit Richmond reached out and asked if we’d like to do a giveaway to send one of our readers (and a friend!) to Richmond to experience the festival. So of course, I said yes.
So, want to enter for a chance to win? First, CLICK HERE for full contest details and rules (there are location and age restrictions). Then, leave a comment below telling us what you’d like to do and see in Richmond. The winner will have their airfare, hotel and food covered and will get special tours and experiences with amazing independent artists at the festival! I’m so excited to see who wins! Thanks to everyone at Visit Richmond for sharing this trip with our community! xo, grace
Richmond photographs by Mike Ritchie, Quirk Hotel photo by Kip Dawkins, Shop photos by Betsy Seymour
- We’re on Snapchat now! I’m using this feed to share very personal updates from my day-to-day life and around my home in upstate NY. Follow us at “designsponge” if you’re on Snapchat!
- This video of Spode Blue Italian being made is hypnotic.
- This library protects the world’s rarest colors. Hello, dream librarian job.
- 80k Delft tiles in a tunnel? Yes, please.
- In Pictures: Nineties kids in their bedrooms (this is AMAZING).
- This announcement made my day. I’m so happy NoVo is investing in young women of color.
- Monday Mood: Spring In The Air
- Products: 10 Indian Textile Brands to Watch
- Fine Art Focus: Tanya Aguiñiga
- Food: Yossy Arefi’s Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake, Supplì Classici from Tasting Rome
- What’s In Your Toolbox: Rachel Wilkerson Miller
- City Guide: Phoenix, AZ