All week my mind has been wrapping itself around the concepts of “new” and “old.” It started with a conversation about what’s so wrong (or so right?) about all-white rooms and continued with an amazing movie Julia and I saw last night about a beloved LA restaurant critic who famously champions both what’s “new and cool” and what’s longstanding and overlooked. It made me think a lot about the way our culture rushes to celebrate the latest and greatest, but sometimes overlooks the wonderful things that have always been right under our noses, just waiting to be discovered. It’s with that healthy sense of respect for the undiscovered or “what came before” that I go into the beginning of next week’s design season in NYC. There will be so many new and exciting things to see (and share here), but I also want to do my best to keep in mind – and put into context – the designers and influences that have come before and informed or inspired these bright, shiny and new things. The greater a grasp we have on what (and who) came before, the greater appreciation and understanding we’ll have for the exciting new things we see today.
Speaking of new and exciting, I’m happy to end this week with the latest wallpaper designs from Avery Thatcher at Juju Papers in Portland, OR. Avery knows I’ve never met a metallic print I didn’t like, so her new collection sat in my inbox for barely a half second before I snapped it up for a post. All of those pretty golds, silvers and rose golds are calling my name. They’ll be on display in person at ICFF this year, but you can also check them out in detail (and shop online) right here at Juju.
Until then, here’s wishing you all a wonderful weekend and a very happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there. (And a very big thank you to my mom, who taught me to appreciate striped curtains and how to make a great vignette at an early age). xo, grace
- Can we talk about the Met Gala? Lupita took my breath away, as did Claire’s light-up Zac Posen gown. Naomi Watts looked like a glorious metal Barbie doll, Jenni, Jenna and Lena reminded me why I love suits, and this story at Vanity Fair is a great (and hilarious) insight into what goes into styling celebs for the big night.
- I loved Victoria’s visual tribute to Beyonce’s “Lemonade” album this week.
- This piece in NY Mag about making friends in your 30s is so relevant and so honest.
- If my heart was a shoe, it would be this one. Well, maybe if my heart was a little braver.
- NASA’s Instagram feed is the best. Talk about endless (literally, in the form of galaxies) inspiration.
- Last but not least, New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast talking about style (scroll to the bottom for the video) made my day.
- Monday Mood: Small, But Mighty
- City Guide: Halifax, Nova Scotia City Guide
- Before & After: A Bright Kitchen Makeover Honoring Vintage Wares
- Comfort Zone: Debbie Bean